It’s that time of the year again! Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner has created the 5th annual End of Year Book Survey. I can’t quite believe we’re filling in another one of these surveys! Admittedly I didn’t read too much this year, but I still can’t miss out on taking part in this survey. It’s almost tradition now! This year I’m only doing the first two categories of the survey, purely down to time constraints and the fact that I haven’t been all that active in the blogging world this year.
2014 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 35 (at the time of writing this post)
Number of Re-Reads: 0 (possibly 1 by the end of the year)
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary (I think!)
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
Probably Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. After much deliberation, this was the book that made me the happiest whilst reading it.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
These Gentle Wounds by Helene Dunar. I thought it was going to be so much more than what it was.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Probably Code Name Verity. I knew I was going to love it. I didn’t think I was going to love it as much as I did.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Stolen Songbird all the way.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Starter: Chasing Perfect by Susan Mallery. Fool’s Gold #1
Sequel: Mine to Spell by Janeal Falor. Mine #2
Ender: Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. Anna #3
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
James Dawson. Technically I didn’t discover him in 2014, but I read my first book by him in 2014. It was awesome.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. I don’t typically read historical YA, and this was such a delight to read myself.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
You Are Mine by Janeal Falor. So much stuff going on all the time. I couldn’t stop reading, literally unputdownable.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably Easy by Tammara Webber, so I’m fully prepared for Breakable.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
I don’t actually have a favourite. Bad I know.
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Cricket Bell from Lola and the Boy Next Door. Sweet Cricket.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Oh lordy. Possibly the short stories in My True Love Gave to Me. I don’t know!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
I can’t say I read anything particularly thought-provoking, but my current re-read of The Raven Boys is making me think far harder this time round!
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Toss up between Rainshadow Road and Lola and the Boy Next Door. Both excellent reads, and I’m so annoyed it took me so long to get round to them!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
Can I just say all of Code Name Verity and have done with it? Thanks.
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
Shortest: Cupcakes & Chardonnay by Julia Gabriel – 134 pages
Longest: Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Chilling Revelation – 636 pages
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Cruel Summer by James Dawson. Full of twists and turns and just purely excellent writing.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Josh and Isla, of course.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Maddie and Julie from Code Name Verity.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Fearless by Emma Pass. I loved ACID in 2013, and The Fearless did not disappoint either! UKYA at its best.
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Code Name Verity, Easy, Cruel Summer. Cannot narrow it down any further. All highly recommended by the blogosphere.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Josh from Isla and the Happily Ever After. Cricket from Lola and the Boy Next Door. Lukas from Mine to Spell.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Stolen Songbird by Danielle Jensen. One of my favourite books of the year!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Chardonia from the Mine series. How I’d hate to live there but I loved reading about it!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Probably My True Love Gave to Me, purely because it was just full of cute Christmas stories that I fell in love with.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Code Name Verity. I know, my answers are getting boring and repetitive but THIS BOOK YOU GUYS. THIS BOOK.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
You Are Mine by Janeal Falor. I want more people to read this book! Such an underrated series.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
CODE NAME VERITY. Not only did it crush my soul, it ripped my heart into tiny shreds and stomped all over the pieces. Dammit.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
The Traveller or Bald New World. Uniqueness isn’t always a good thing though, sometimes it works and sometimes it just makes my head hurt.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Rainshadow Road purely because of Alice and Kevin. Talk about douche-y characters.